New Orleans Car Accident Lawyers
We Have a Tradition of Excellence Helping Accident Victims
Some of the most common accidents in this day and age involve automobiles. In fact, car accidents are among the leading causes of injury and death in the United States. When a car accident happens, it is important to have the legal help you need in order to uphold your rights and ensure that you get the compensation you need and deserve from insurance companies and other parties involved.
“I was very pleased with the services provided to my mother and I by Justin Chopin. He was very responsive, and we felt that he had our best interests at heart.”
At The Chopin Law Firm LLC, our car accident attorneys in New Orleans are passionate about securing the future of our clients. If you or a loved one have been involved in a car crash that was due to the negligence of another, don’t hesitate to enlist our experienced legal help! We are backed by more than five decades of legal experience and offer free case evaluations.
Call (504) 475-2429 to learn more about your legal options!
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
There are several steps that you can take directly following an auto accident that can help prove liability and ensure you recover full compensation.
Steps to take following a car crash:
- Remain at the scene - Never leave the scene of an accident, even if you were not at fault. Fleeing a scene can lead to criminal penalties.
- Check for injuries to yourself and passengers. If anyone is in need of medical attention, call for an ambulance.
- Call the police. When the police arrive at the scene, they will evaluate the accident and write up a police report. Be sure to ask where you can receive a copy of the report.
- Gather information about the other driver's insurance, license plate, contact information, and addresses.
- Take photos of the damage and the surrounding scene.
- Seek medical treatment - Not all injuries show up immediately, so it is a good idea to see a doctor as soon as possible to make sure you did not sustain any internal injuries.
- Contact an attorney - Before talking to insurers, consult an attorney to learn your rights and how to file an effective car accident claim.
If you failed to complete one of these steps, it does not mean that your claim is lost or unwinnable. Our legal team has over five decades of experience handling these types of claims and offer free, initial case evaluations. It costs you nothing to call and learn your legal options!
Common Causes of Car Accidents in New Orleans
Determining the cause of a car crash is crucial to getting the compensation you need. The Chopin Law Firm LLC conducts thorough investigations in order to determine who may be held liable for your injury.
Seven common causes of car accidents in New Orleans include:
- Drunk Driving: These types of accidents are far too common. It's been reported that a person is seriously injured in a DUI related accident every two minutes.
- Distracted Driving: In this day and age, cellphone use is by far the most common form of distracted driving. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that in 2017, distracted driving resulted in 3,100 fatalities.
- Poor Road Design: When a roadway is poorly designed, it can lead to confusion, blind-spots, and actual structural issues in the road. All of these factors can and do, lead to serious vehicle accidents and injuries.
- Defective Car Parts: A defective car part can cause a car crash or worsen the effects of one. Common trouble parts include brakes, seatbelts, steering wheels, accelerators, and ignitions.
- Speeding: While speeding is just one form of aggressive driving, it not only can cause an accident, but the higher speeds can also lead to more serious injuries.
- Violation of Traffic Laws: When we share the roads with thousands of other drivers, traffic laws are key to preventing accidents and maintaining safety on the roads. Violating traffic laws is careless, reckless, and negligent.
- Unsafe Lane Changes: This is another common form of aggressive driving and is often accompanied by speeding. A driver who swerves between lanes at high speeds puts everyone on the road at risk of a catastrophic accident.
We can review the details of your accident and discuss how your injuries have affected your life. After looking carefully at all the evidence available, our team will craft a case that is fit to meet your needs and circumstances.
Car Accident FAQ:
If you've been injured in a car accident you probably have a lot of questions about which steps you need to take. If you're ready to get started on your case, call our office to set up a free case evaluation.
If you aren't quite ready to call us or just want some more information, we've provided some helpful answers to common questions asked in regards to car wreck injury claims.
Is It Too Late to Call a Lawyer After Settling with the Insurance Company?
Insurance companies are quick to obtain statements about the accident and settle as soon as possible. If you've already agreed to a settlement with your insurance company, generally you cannot open a lawsuit against the insurance company or the defendant.
There can be a few exceptions to this, such as:
- The defendant acted in a fraudulent or coercive manner
- Your lawsuit is against a different person involved in the accident
What If You Don't Claim Injuries at First, but Then Discover Your Injuries Later?
It is always best to file an injury claim right away, as this ensures your best chance of success. However, there are many cases in which injuries suffered in an accident do not always present themselves right away. In the state of Louisiana, you only have one year to file a personal injury claim. Typically, the timeframe begins at the date the injury occurred. However, in cases where symptoms of the injury were delayed, you can have one year from the date the injury was discovered.
It can be difficult for your lawyer to prove the injuries you sustained surfaced after the one-year deadline, which is why it's crucial for you to receive medical attention immediately after your accident. Having detailed reports from your doctor that substantiate your claim can mean the difference between obtaining the compensation you need and living a life paying hefty medical bills.
Call for a Free Case Evaluation!
The sooner that you retain the services of our New Orleans car accident lawyers, the sooner that we can begin to thoroughly investigate and prepare a case on your behalf. With extensive experience on both sides of the table, our firm can effectively handle your case throughout every step of case proceedings.
Contact us today and speak directly to an experienced lawyer in a free evaluation!